Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Girls Can't Play Rock Guitar

I have been playing rock guitar for over 35 years now, but still get the helpless little female attitude whether I am setting up for a show  either getting heckled by the early drunks glued to a bar stool watching and making snide remarks asking if I know what I'm doing or when I go into music stores. Particularly Guitar Center.
Not to mention the occasional drunken male who gets in my face during a show trying to distract me.
I have read Joan Jett was pretty much encouraged to take up a more "girly" instrument while still in school and The Heart sisters took a lot of crap too.
Really nothing has much changed in all these years though some incredibly good female guitarist have been around for ages with more coming along. I have see 12 year old girls doing hard core male rocker songs on guitar and sound better than they do. It's not brain surgery.
I am sure I am not the only one out there currently facing this same kind of discriminatory treatment and would love to hear stories from others who have.
I will have to add a few here when I drop back in.
You can find my song "Girls Can't Play Rock Guitar" by Slippery When Wet on all the major streaming sites. And drop me a comment if you have dealt with this attitude. I'd love to hear your story


No comments:

Post a Comment